Tennis

Post anything here not related to Kingdom Island

Moderators: Dev Team, S. Moderators

Tennis

Postby Duder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 am

Tennis is a sport that lasts a lifetime! Growing up, I used to go to my local park and play on the play ground with my friends. Beside the playground, I would always see these people playing tennis on the courts. Overtime, instead of being a kid sliding down the slide or swinging on the swings, I would sit on the bench and intently watch these people play tennis.

When I was around 7 years old, I began a Summer clinic to teach me the fundamentals of the game. Funny thing is, many of my friends today (8 years later), are a lot of the kids I grew up learning tennis with. When I got to about 9 years old, I had to switch hands at playing tennis. I was taught how to play being a leftie, and it was all about to change. I decided to train myself to become a rightie for the next year and the cool thing is, now I am what you consider ambidextrous (someone who can play with both hands), which I use to my advantage today in my matches.

When I was 11, I officially began competing in tournaments. I was am average player, and would end up maybe in the semi's of tournaments, but unfortunately for me, never "got the gold." Although this is discouraging for some, it only made me want to strive for perfection and get to the top. I began training long and hard in the Spring and Summer months when I was 12. At that age is when I really tried to master my game of serves, returns, strokes, movement, etc.

At the age of 13, I was in my very first doubles tournament. My partner and I had gone to the same school (and still do today), and were familiar with eachothers games. Defeating all our opponents, we actually won our bracket and defeated the winners of the other bracket, and won a really incredible award. This award really boosted my confidence as a player, and showed me that my hard work does pay off.

When I was 14, I began joining training programs after school and worked with personal pro tennis trainers to make my game even better than it was. At 15, this passed Summer, I had a serious hip injury, and was unable to compete in the tournament. The news was so discouring and disappointing, but I needed to keep my head up high. Last year, which was my freshman year of highschool, my doubles partner and I had an undefeated season 11-0 and were highly ranked in the Junior Varsity tournament amongst other schools in the state.

This year, 15-16 years of age, I am hoping to have another successful season. Right now, I am in several tennis clinics and will also be going to physical therapy because my hip isn't 100% recovered. I spent the last week/ week and a half watching the Australian Open on ESPN2, and saw my favorite tennis player Novak Djokovic win his 3rd straight title! He is my inspiration and role model. One of my dreams over the Summer is to leave the country to one of the big tennis matches, meet some of the players, and maybe get some signatures.

As you can see, tennis is a huge part of my life. It is a sport that truly can be played at all ages and is something just amazing to get involved in. I encourage each and every one of you to try a sport and be active. Of course it doesn't have to be tennis which is my personal passion, but it's a great feeling to be apart of a team, to sense a victory, and to know that the time and effort you put into sports will eventually pay off. Understand I went through several ups and downs in my tennis career so far, and I have been playing more than half my life! I hope this was an inspirational story and maybe taught each and every one of you a little bit about me, and understand that I am not full of hate when I speak my mind about this Kingdom Island, but I am completely honest with my opinions on things on and offline :mrgreen:
Duder

Re: Tennis

Postby alexronay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

I played tennis as a kid. I played in high school also, but not as competitive though I was 5th on the team. It's a great sport.

If we ever release a tennis clothing item, You'll be the first to know about it ;)
alexronay
Design Team

Postby Duder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am

alexroronay wrote: If we ever release a tennis clothing item, You'll be the first to know about it ;)

I appreciate that! And hey, I don't remember seeing any tennis courts on virtual worlds. Maybe you could have a medieval styled tennis court in another room somewhere in the castle and that could be a multi-player minigame!
Duder

Postby alexronay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 am

maybe we would serve by blowing flames on the ball and have the ball be on fire while it plays? then the objective is not to just score, but to keep the rally going until the ball cools down. Maybe have some objects behind you so if the flaming ball gets past you, your stuff gets burnt until you run out.
alexronay
Design Team

Postby Sand » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 am

Oh you may not have heard about this but in England decades ago tennis used to be played indoors but you used the sloped walls to bounce the ball off. I can't remember the exact name but i believe tennis originated from that.

EDIT: haha Alex you beat me too it!! I was going to suggest something like that!

www.kingdomislandtips.blogspot.com
Sand

Postby Duder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am

I can't remember the exact name but i believe tennis originated from that.

I'm pretty sure that's called racket ball
Duder

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 am

Racquetball is something I play 3 days a week... and he's talking about something different. I use to play Tennis too. Thought about getting back into it, but in my state, it rains half the year and indoor courts are expensive to play in.
Tony
Admin

Postby Sand » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 am

Duder wrote:
I can't remember the exact name but i believe tennis originated from that.

I'm pretty sure that's called racket ball

Racket Ball is squash over here in England. I cant remember that its called :P

www.kingdomislandtips.blogspot.com
Sand

Postby Pacman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

I can say that I have personally only played Tennis once in my life and it was just last year in PE. When me and my friend were playing it in PE, we were trying to hit each other with the ball, like he got me in the leg and head, it hurt a lot lol, but I do like Tennis it's a fun sport. In my school we play a lot of badminton, so that's why I have only played Tennis once in my life. :geek:
Pacman

Return to General Chat