Making the Game Better

Post any ideas or suggestions you think should be added to the game/website here.

Moderators: Dev Team, S. Moderators

Making the Game Better

Postby Penguitt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Kingdom Island has a lot of potential into becoming a successful Virtual World. But to be a successful Virtual World, it all matters how you use that potential. Recently, I came across an article written by some former Club Penguin staff members that I think Kingdom Island could use. Now, I know there may or may not be some prejudice towards the game, but the article makes a ton of sense and is well worth the read. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/190178/5_tips_for_making_successful_kids_games_in_2013.php
Penguitt

Re: Making the Game Better

Postby alexronay » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm

I've read that before. We have no prejudice towards that game, we feel though that a lot of what is already out there has been replicated.

We are reaching thresholds that nobody has before, and in being pioneers for a new type of virtual game we feel there is no structure we can go off of.

We are basically rewriting the book on virtual worlds. That article would have been fantastic around 2006 when there was a big boom of flash based virtual games, however we are in a new era of gaming.

What you see now is the foundation part still. What we have in store is new and fresh.
alexronay
Design Team

Postby Penguitt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Nicely put, Qazar. Looking forward to what is in stores now! ^.^ By the way, that was just posted today xD I just thought it could help because a lot of kids are like that these days, and maybe incorporating those ideas into future work is what can maybe prolong the time spent on the game, while also prolong the users enjoyment of the game. :)
Penguitt

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 pm

I think Alex is right. This article is really just a bunch of content fill with not much behind it. These are the deep down basics of creating ANY game for kids. The reason games are for kids (6-14 or the younger audience in general) are different than games like COD or Halo is simply because they are made for specific groups of people. This article right here was purely advertisement for his new game. Smart as he now gets a back link to his website and a few readers who now might be interested in the upcoming game. But to be honest, nothing from that article will change how we pursue to make Kingdom Island better.

Believe me, we're further than we've ever been with DragonPlay or really even Club Penguin at this point. Remember, we still haven't set a clear marketing plan yet. It's all word of mouth at this point.

I haven't been the slightest worried about the amount of players this game has. In our current state, I'm fine with the user base. Virtual worlds are grown and developed; dumping money or modifying to the status quo is not how we do things around here.

Thanks for posting the article though!
Tony
Admin

Postby CpDarkrai » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Tony wrote:I think Alex is right. This article is really just a bunch of content fill with not much behind it. These are the deep down basics of creating ANY game for kids. The reason games are for kids (6-14 or the younger audience in general) are different than games like COD or Halo is simply because they are made for specific groups of people. This article right here was purely advertisement for his new game. Smart as he now gets a back link to his website and a few readers who now might be interested in the upcoming game. But to be honest, nothing from that article will change how we pursue to make Kingdom Island better.

Believe me, we're further than we've ever been with DragonPlay or really even Club Penguin at this point. Remember, we still haven't set a clear marketing plan yet. It's all word of mouth at this point.

I haven't been the slightest worried about the amount of players this game has. In our current state, I'm fine with the user base. Virtual worlds are grown and developed; dumping money or modifying to the status quo is not how we do things around here.

Thanks for posting the article though!

I have to agree, this game already is well above and beyond Club Penguin, the main reason it's popular is because it is apart of Disney and Disney is pretty big especially for kids, Club Penguin was already fairly big but back when it was first out there wasn't much out and it got a lot of publicity but over the 6 years nearly I think with Club Penguin it hasn't made much progress at all.The parties/events just keep repeating. I could continue with this but I won't xD
As for the article it is true what you said. It is just the basics for any kids game in reality and is an advertisement for his own game and yes lots of different game genres targeted at different age groups. (Although I have found COD is filled with 8 y.o - 12 y.o when it is aimed for a more older audience)

I reckon the player base is quite good at the moment and can't wait to see this game grow even more overtime and become a lot better than it is now and I wish you all the best of luck :D
CpDarkrai

Postby Poachkama » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Creating a game, shouldn't be about using "ideas" from another game. It should be for how you want the game to be, and how it can be interesting, and fun for the players too.
I'm Poku! That's me, I'll mainly post on the forums.
Poachkama

Postby Penguitt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 am

Ok, sorry everyone. My heart was in the right place when I posted this.
Penguitt

Postby timpane » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 am

This article right here was purely advertisement for his new game. Smart as he now gets a back link to his website and a few readers who now might be interested in the upcoming game. But to be honest, nothing from that article will change how we pursue to make Kingdom Island better.
X-man
timpane

Return to Ideas/Suggestions